Military Education Benefits
GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Recently Named the #1 Best for Vets School in the State of Illinois
Lewis University is proud to be a partner in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, which allows qualified Post-9/11 veterans to enroll in more than one hundred approved education programs at Lewis University, tuition free! We have unlimited participants so no need to enter a lottery or feel like you missed the deadline.
- Eligible Chapters
- Begin Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
- Continue Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
- Military Financial Aid
- Why Should I Complete a FAFSA?
- Paying for College
To determine your Chapter eligibility, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 and speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor. Please be sure to request your Certificate of Eligibility for this is vital to prevent delays. Visit the GI Bill Website to apply and learn more about the educational benefit descriptions and payment rates.
Information regarding transferring education benefits (Chapter 33 only) can be found through the follow link: Post-9/11 GI Bill: Transferability.
Note: upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with the VA. This step should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after the Department of Defense has approved the request for Transferring Benefits.
Begin Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
To begin using your GI Bill benefits at Lewis University, please submit the following forms to the Veterans Affairs Representative in the Financial Aid Department online at email@example.com.
*We prefer all enrollment forms enrollment forms be submitted online as this allows us to continuously refine and improve our certification process.
- Certificate of Eligibility (for Chapter 30 and 33 recipients). If you have not received this from the VA yet, please submit all other required documents for processing. Your COE can be submitted to us once received.
- NOBE (received from your Command if you are a member of the Selected Reserves).
- Benefit Enrollment Form (Complete online by following the link below)
Continue Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
To continue using your GI Bill benefits at Lewis University, you must repeat the following steps.
Each month: Process your monthly verification of enrollment with the VA (not necessary for Chapter 33 recipients).
Each semester: Submit the VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form to the Financial Aid Services office. The form must be completed online.
NOTE: If you withdraw from one or more of your classes, it could affect your eligibility for VA Benefits. It is your responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if you add/drop any courses during the semester.
Military Financial Aid
Lewis University demonstrates its support of military students achieving
their educational goals by offering zero cost application fees and reduced
tuition rates for active duty members enrolled at Lewis University.
Looking for more information? Check out our Veteran Benefits FAQ
to learn more.
Why Should I Complete a FAFSA?
Service members should always complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for additional scholarship, grant and loan eligibility options each year.
- You must indicate your VA education eligibility in step two of your FAFSA. Some veteran benefits are considered a resource for financial aid. Veteran benefits may affect your eligibility for certain Lewis University scholarships.
- Deferred billing options are available to veterans who are receiving education benefits.