Provide children with advanced reading skills to help them thrive in their academic and professional careers.
Literacy expands opportunities throughout students’ lives, making the role of a Reading Specialist a highly valued and essential individual in today’s classroom. Students in the M.A. in Reading & Literacy, Reading Specialist program become fully prepared to provide effective instruction and leadership in literacy. Upon graduation, students will have extensive practicum experiences in assessment, case report development, instruction preparation and delivery, and more. Graduates will be eligible to teach reading to students and provide technical assistance and professional development in reading to other teachers.
The Reading & Literacy, Reading Specialist program is recognized by the International Reading Association. The program is fully approved by the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board and the Illinois State Board of Education.
Contact us(815) 205-0943
- Dr. Martha H. Rusnak Scholarship for Reading Professionals
- TEACH Grant
- Resources for the Education of Adults in the Chicago Area (REACH) Scholarship
- Lasallian Book Scholarship
Visit the Financial Aid for Educational Studies page for more information on education scholarships.
- Child and Adolescent Literature
- Teaching Reading to the Diverse Learner
- Theory and Practice for Intervention and Remediation of Reading
- Assessment and Diagnosis of Reading Problems
- Instruction and Resources for Developing Multiliteracies
- Organizational Systems in Educational Leadership
- Reading Specialist
- Literacy Coach
- Reading Teacher
- Illinois Professional Educator License
- Fulfillment of House Bill 150 (Survey of Exceptional Children and Adolescents or Exceptional Learners in Inclusive Communities)
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 for the final 60 credit hours of study
- Official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended
- Successful completion of the Lewis University College of Education and Social Sciences Graduate Writing Examination
- Submission of a graduate application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Evidence of two (2) years of successful teaching experience by the end of the program
Please refer to the Office of Graduate Admission for application requirements and specific next steps.
- Curriculum and Instruction: Reading Teacher Endorsement, M.Ed.
- Curriculum and Instruction: Literacy and English Language Learning, M.Ed.