Clubs and Student Organizations
Best Buddies Illinois, Lewis Chapter
Best Buddies is a national non-profit organization is dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities. Sign up for the college program to become a "best buddy" and help a person with intellectual disabilities gain confidence and enjoy social activities. Open to all majors.
Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bestbuddieslewisuniversity/
Dr. Jen Buss
Catholic Educator Program
The Catholic Educator program was established with the following goals: Understand and articulate one's own spirituality and prayer life, develop a teaching philosophy based on the life of and work of St. John Baptist de La Salle, define and exhibit the characteristics of a LaSallian educator, demonstrate the knowledge and skills to prepare students for the sacraments and teach catechism to Catholic school children, conceptualize teaching as a calling form God and the value of service and social justice advocacy in the profession. This group is open to all education majors, meets throughout the year and focuses on service, and best teaching practices found in our schools.
Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lewis.catholiceducators/
Mrs. Ann O’Brien Email:
Collegiate Middle Level Association
An affiliate of Association for Middle Level Education, is a professional education organization for college students preparing to become middle level teachers.
The purposes of CMLA are to provide an organized source of information that:
- Supports legislation, standards, and recommendations that enhance the middle level concept, practices, and ideas.
- Advances appropriate middle level teacher education.
- Provides information about current middle level employment opportunities.
- Promotes and invites collegiate participation at national, state and regional middle level conferences.
- Provides support and encouragement for students in middle level education and informs members of progress and activities of both CMLA and other student groups via newsletters, electronic technology and other sources of communication.
Each collegiate chapter receives five NMSA votes and five electronic subscriptions to Middle School Journal and Middle Ground magazine, and every member of each collegiate chapter receives AMLE member rates on all publications and conference registrations.
Our university activities might include the following:
- Inviting guest panels (teachers, administrators, board members, parents, and/or students) to speak to the students.
- Attending field trips to schools and other organizations that work with middle school students.
- Promoting awareness of middle school issues within the university and surrounding communities.
- Holding fundraisers to help middle school students and families in need.
- Hosting social events for members and non-members at selected times of the year.
Educators Rising Collegiate, Lewis Chapter
Educators Rising Collegiate, a division of PDK International, supports aspiring educators at the undergraduate level as they prepare to embark on careers in education. By becoming a member of Educators Rising Collegiate, future educators are able to gain access to an additional level of supports and content to ensure they are ready for the classroom. Throughout the year students will participate in a variety of activities designed to engage them in deeper discussions around hot-button topics in education, spur them to think about actions they can take at the local level, and prepare them for a classroom of their own.
Dr. Rebecca Pruitt
Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education, Alpha Kappa Beta Chapter
Kappa Delta Pi is one of the largest and most prestigious educational honor societies, founded in 1911 to foster excellence in education and promote fellowship among those dedicated to teaching. The Alpha Kappa Beta chapter at Lewis was established in 2019 and hosts educational speakers and events, and also facilitates service opportunities. Most events are open to all education majors. Find us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/lu.kappadeltapi/
Dr. Liz Sturm