Learn how to design algorithms to uncover the secrets hiding in big data.
More and more industries are looking for knowledgeable individuals who can mine tremendous amounts of data to glean powerful and profitable business intelligence.
In fact, the entire business models of companies like Google and Facebook rely solely on this data mining and predictive analytics. But companies can only act on the actionable information they have available to them. Little do many realize how much information lives within their data, ready to be deciphered - ready to be acted upon. For instance:
- How are Amazon and Netflix able to build such accurate recommendation engines based on past customer purchases?
- How is Nate Silver able to predict election results before voting day so accurately?
- How are health organizations able to track disease outbreaks and strategically protect against their spread?
- How did Billy Beaneís use of data analytics change the way baseball and subsequently all professional sports are played?
- How can pharmaceutical providers customize medications based on individual health factors and medical history?
Most importantly, how can you help companies utilize these same data mining and predictive analyses to optimize organizational processes? That's exactly what Lewis University's master's in data science degree program will prepare you for. In fact, Lewis' supportive educational community and state-of-the-art Science Center offers the perfect preparation for success as a Data Scientist through an interdisciplinary curriculum in which you will:
Why Lewis for Your Master's in Data Science?
- Design and develop software and systems to store, manage, query, process and interpret big data
- Devise algorithms to identify reasonable trends buried in large data sets
- Determine how best to display data to communicate actionable recommendations
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the mathematics and computing of data science techniques and technologies
- Use real-time and historical data to solve real-world business problems
- Learn how to evaluate and compare large-scale and cloud-based data storage solutions that meet specific performance, security, query, functional and cost requirements
- Choose appropriate data mining and analysis techniques to solve specific problems
- Conclude your graduate experience by researching and writing your thesis capstone, applying data mining and analytics to your specific industry
- Ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report's "Top Tier Colleges"
- One of the most affordable Master's in Data Science programs in the region
- Small interactive classes provide the ideal learning environment to learn with and from your peers
- 8-week courses offered on-campus or online to accommodate the working professional
- Great balance between theory and practical application (learn how the tools work and how to work the tools)
- Flexible curriculum to fit your interests and current skillset
- Brand new Science Center houses some of the most impressive computer science resources in the region
- Leverage cutting-edge cloud computing resources and software suites as Matlab, Maple and SPSS
Customize your Master's in Data Science degree with one of the following concentrations to match your specific career interests:
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Designed for the analyst working in the healthcare industry, this curriculum will focus on real-world applications. You will use data mining to design customized pharmaceuticals, maximize patient outcomes, track the spread of disease, optimize ambulance routes and more.
This curriculum is best suited to students with an undergraduate degree in Computer Science. You will focus on real-world applications including designing large-scale storage systems and writing applications that manage, query and visualize large data sets on a variety of computing platforms.
Life after Lewis
Our graduates are able to bring their newfound skills to a wide range of successful career options, such as:
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Data Strategist
- Data Engineer
- Predictive Modeler
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Market Research Analyst
- Risk Manager
100% Online Program
This degree program is offered within a flexible 100% online format - convenient for the working adult.
Data Science or Information Security?
Data Science tools have become an essential resource for cyber security threat identification, prioritization and prevention. Our two graduate fields are complementary pursuits and Data Scientists and Information Security Specialists at Lewis will work together very closely to create solutions to mine, interpret and protect an organizationís data.
This 18-hour certificate program is an alternative for students looking to build their data science skills, but do not wish to pursue the full graduate degree. This certificate does not require the writing of a thesis. Students who start out pursuing the certificate option would be able to switch over to the degree program if they wish.
The certificate is also offered 100% online.
View Gainful Employment Disclosure Information.
Minimum Admission Requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in Calculus.
- A completed application for graduate admission
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Two-page statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- International students are required to have a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)