The mission of the Sustainability Council, formerly known as the University Environmental and Energy Conservation Council (UEECC) is to develop policies and strategies that reflect Lewis University's commitment to sustainable practices, which meet our current needs without compromising resources for future generations.
The Council promotes responsible environmental stewardship to accomplish its mission, which calls for personal responsibility in the care of the planet.
The Sustainability Council is committed to leading by example. In this regard, University activities are conducted in a manner that conserves natural resources in a sustainable manner, protects the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff as well as the surrounding community, and promotes environmental education, local action, and global awareness.
As a Lewis University student, I am expected to incorporate the values from our mission -knowledge, fidelity, wisdom, justice, and association- in the decisions I make every day. As part of my promise to Lewis University, I pledge to promote responsible stewardship of our environment and limited resources by incorporating some or all of the following practices in my everyday life:
- Attending lectures, seminars, and classes to learn about environmental preservation topics.
- Conserving energy by turning down thermostats, turning off lights and using compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Drinking tap water instead of bottled water when possible.
- Joining College sponsored programs and groups devoted to sustainability
- Reducing waste by using a reusable mug and water bottle, taking my own bags to the grocery store, donating
used clothes and furniture to charity groups or others who can use them.
- Think before I print or photocopy, and using the double-sided setting when I print.
- Recycling plastic, paper, glass, aluminum and cardboard, etc.
- Minimizing auto travel and walking or riding my bike whenever possible.
- Unplugging electronics and chargers from the wall when not in use.
The Illinois Green Governments Coordinating Council has recognized Lewis University for achieving the bronze standard recognition level of sustainability goals in higher education as established by the Illinois Campus Sustainability Compact. The goal of the Illinois Campus Sustainability Compact is to encourage universities and colleges within the state to incorporate sustainability into their campus operations, academic and research programs, student activities and community outreach. Lewis has pledged a commitment to achieve Silver Level.
A list of Illinois Compact Schools with each institution's commitment and achievement level can be found here.