Fires do not discriminate – they happen both on and
off campus. So, know the facts to keep yourself safe and secure.
- Know exactly where your emergency exits are located so that you
can go on “automatic pilot” if there’s a fire.
- Always, always heed the fire alarm, even when you believe it
may be “just another drill or false alarm” Assuming
that its false could put your life and others (who may need to
re-enter a fire
to rescue you) in jeopardy.
- Don’t use illegal appliances, candles or incense in the
- Be careful when smoking… Lit cigarettes – can and – do
- Don’t drape scarves or other fabric over lamps. Left unattended,
they can easily catch fire.
- If you suspect a fire in the hallway, don’t open your door.
Instead, feel the door to see if it’s hot. Stuff towels or sheets
under your door so less smoke can enter and stay close to the ground
where the air isn’t as smoky.
- Don’t tamper with fire equipment such as extinguishers,
hoses and alarm boxes. Malfunctioning equipment can be a matter
of life and
death in a real fire situation.