SDL seeks to prepare students in their leadership development by:
- Providing students with opportunities to develop and enhance a personal philosophy of leadership that includes understanding of self, others, and community
- Encouraging students to gain a variety of leadership experiences
- By using multiple leadership techniques, theories, and models
- Recognizing and rewarding exemplary leadership behavior
Some of the ways in which we encourage leadership opportunities are through:
- Getting involved in one of over 100 student organizations
- Participation in different Leadership Training Workshops and Seminars
- Enrolling in leadership development course offerings
- Recognition & Awards
- Applying for Student Employment
- Seek to become a Peer Educator or Mentor
Each fall SDL along with the Student Governing Board hosts a three-day Fall Leadership Retreat that focuses on skills that include group cohesiveness, time management, interpersonal skills, member retention, recruitment and activity planning. This Fall Leadership Retreat is primarily focused on student organizations, however if students are interested in attending, they may contact the SORC Office.
The Leadership Institute is another program that focuses on developing different leadership skills and how to apply them to the real world. Students may be nominated in order to participate or they may to apply to participate in the Leadership Institute. Additional programs such as Alcohol Awareness and Hazing Education are available and mandatory in some cases for students to take part in as well.
Leadership Institute Application