Assistant Professor, College of Nursing and Health Professions
Ph.D., University of Illinois, 2010
M.S.N., University of Illinois, Chicago
B.S.N., University of Illinois, Chicago
Sherry, D. C., Simmons, B., Wung, S.F., & Zerwic, J.J. (2003). Noncompliance in heart transplantation: A role for the advanced practice nurse. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 18(3), 141-146.
Sherry, D. Fennessy, M., Benavente, V., Ruppar, T., & Collins, E.G. (2013). Important Considerations When Applying for a Postdoctoral Fellowship. Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
Sherry, D., Knight, B., Hacker, E.D., Quinn, L., Wang, E., Larson, J., Casey, C., & Collins, E.G. (2014). A Pilot Study Evaluating Daily Physical Activity Before and After Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. Biological Research in Nursing.
Westbrook, A., Sherry, D., McDermott, M., Gobber, M., & Pabst, M. (2016). Examining IV Insulin Practice Guidelines in the Cardiac Surgery Patient: Nurses Evaluating Quality Outcomes at the Bedside. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 31, 4. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000190
Heflin, C.R. (2016). Tips for a Healthy Heart. (featured interview with D. Sherry) The Herald News. February 12, 2016. Joliet, IL.
Perona, V. & Sherry, D. (2016). Evaluation of Motivational Interview Use in Nursing: A Literature Review. Manuscript in preparation.
Young-Pitts, C., Hicks, R., Love, R., Harkless, G., Honig, J., Desjardins, K., …Sherry, D.,…& Newland, J. (2016). White Paper: The Doctor of Nursing Practice Nurse Practitioner Clinical Scholar 2016 Executive Summary. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty. Retrieved at http://nonpf.site-ym.com/?page=83
- Lasallian Research Award for “Building Trust with Uninsured Populations: Using Photovoice to Develop Interventions to Improve Health.”
- Boothroyd Foundation Scholarship, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1995.
- T32 Biobehavioral training grant fellowship, Department of Biobehavioral Science, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2006-2007. $8655 stipend + tuition/fees.
- F31 NRSA fellowship, National Institutes for Nursing Research, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2007-2010. $34,865 each year.
- Traineeship, Practitioners, Centers for Disease Control and University of South Carolina Physical Activity and Public Health Practitioners’ Course, Park City, Utah, 9/2008. Competitive selection process.
- Postdoctoral Nurse Fellowship, Department of Veterans Affairs, 7/2011-7/2013. $44,500 each year.
- Locally-Initiated Project Award. Center for the Management of the Complex & Chronically Ill. Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital. 2/2012 – 9/2012. $7,146
- Award from The Colonel Stephen S. & Lyla Doherty Center for Aviation & Health Research. Lewis University. 3/2012 – 3/2013. $5,855
- Professor of the Game, Lewis University, Romeoville, IL. 3/22/2013.
- Nurse Educator Award, Illinois Board of Higher Education. FY2014, $10,000