Associate Professor of Mathematics
Ph.D., Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, 2014
M.S., University of Kentucky, 2009
- Illinois Section of the MAA’s Early Career Teaching Award: 2018
- MAA SIGMAA on Mathematics and Sports Outstanding Achievement in Advising and Promoting Research in Mathematics and Sports, 2018
- Harsy Ramsay, A. M. (2014). Selected as a national Project NExT Fellow (Gold Dot-14).
- Harsy Ramsay, A. M. (2015). Selected as an Illinois Section NExT Fellow.
- “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” INMAA Invited Keynote/Plenary Speaker, 2020.
- “Designing Optimal Strategies for DNA Self-Assembly” ISMAA Invited Keynote/Plenary Speaker, 2019.
- “Using Graph Theoretical Designs of Self Assembling DNA to Motivate Undergraduate Research.” Invited co-presenter, AMS Special Session on Research in Graph Theory and Combinatorics JMM 2020
- “Designing and Running a Data Science Program at a Regional Liberal Arts University.” Invited co-presenter, SIAM Minisymposium on Data Science in the Mathematics Curriculum. JMM 2018
- “Incorporating Applications into Linear Algebra Courses.” Invited co-presenter, NSF funded 20218 workshop, “National Pedagogical Initiatives on Linear Algebra”
Selected Scholarly Presentations
- A Markov Chain Model for Predicting College Basketball Joint presentation with M. Vesta. MAA Contributed Paper Session on Mathematics and Sports, 2021 Joint Mathematics Meeting, virtual
- Preliminary Analysis of the Impact of Active Learning in General Education Mathematics Courses. Joint presentation with M. Meyer, B. Stephenson. MAA Contributed Paper Session on The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Collegiate Mathematics, 2020 Joint Mathematics Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Using inquiry-based learning as a form of professional development to assess teachers’ dispositions towards mathematics. Joint presentation with R. Patel, MAA Contributed Paper Session on The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Collegiate Mathematics, 2020 Joint Mathematics Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Optimal Pots for Modular DNA Self-Assembly Joint presentation with L. Almodovar, C. Johnson, J. Williams. PosterFest for Early Career Mathematicians, 2019 MAA MathFest Conference, Cincinnati, OH
- Learning Mathematics through Games in a General Education Mathematics Course. Joint presentation with M. Meyer, M. Smith, and B. Stephenson. 2019 MAA Mathfest Conference, Cincinnati, OH.
- Analyzing the Impact of Active Learning in General Education Mathematics Courses. Joint presentation with M. Meyer, M. Smith, and B. Stephenson. Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences 2019 Conference, Marion, IN.
- Does Mastery-based Testing Help with Test Anxiety? Growth Mindset? Confidence? An Analysis of the Impact of MBT in Mathematics Courses. MAA Contributed Paper Session, “Mastery Grading,” MathFest 2018, Denver, CO 2018
- Predictive Modeling and Analysis of Golf and Softball Teams Using Linear Algebra. Joint Presentation with student researchers. Harsy, A., Koronkiewicz, M., and Maupin, C., MAA Contributed Paper Session. 2018 Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Diego, CA.
- Comparing Mastery-Based and Traditional Assessment in Calculus II Courses. Joint Presentation with student researchers. Harsy, A., Carlson, C., and Klamerus L., MAA Contributed Paper Session. 2018 Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Diego, CA.
*Denotes undergraduate student co-author
- Harsy, A. (2022) Graph Theoretical Modeling of DNA as a Vehicle for a Course-Based Undergraduate Research Experience. Special Issue of The Mathematics Enthusiast vol. 19, no.3
- Harsy, A., Holmes, K., Kaschner, S. Meyer, M. (2021) “Teaching Probability Using Dice and Risk” Book Chapter Teaching Mathematics Through Games Classroom Resources Series, Volume: 65. American Mathematical Society
- Harsy, A., Holmes, K., Kaschner, S. Meyer, M. (2021) “Counting Your Winnings at the Casino” Book Chapter Teaching Mathematics Through Games Classroom Resources Series, Volume: 65. American Mathematical Society
- Antonou, Angela; Patel, Rita M.; and Harsy, Amanda (2021) “The Impact of Math Teachers’ Circles on Teacher Dispositions toward Inquiry-based Learning: A Comparison between a Three-day and a One-day Summer Workshop,” Journal of Math Circles: Vol. 2 : Iss. 1 , Article 6. Available at: https://digitalcommons.cwu.edu/mathcirclesjournal/vol2/iss1/6
- Harsy, Amanda and Hoofnagle, Alyssa (2020) Comparing Mastery-based Testing with Traditional Testing in Calculus II, International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: Vol. 14: No. 2, Article 10. Available at: https://doi.org/10.20429/ijsotl.2020.140210
- Harsy, A., Laschober, J*. (2020) Analysis of Passing Networks in Soccer. Mathematics and Sports, [S.l.], v. 1, n. 1, 2020.
- Harsy, A., Carlson, C*., Klamerus, L*. (2020) An Analysis of the Impact of Mastery-based Testing in Mathematics Courses. PRIMUS.
- Harsy, A. (2020) Variations in Mastery-based Testing, PRIMUS. DOI: 10.1080/10511970.2019.1709588
- Collins, J. Harsy, A. Hart, J., Haymaker, K., Hoofnagel, A., Janssen, M. , Kelly, J., Mohr, A., OShaughnessy, J. (2019) Mastery-Based Testing in Undergraduate Mathematics Courses, PRIMUS, 29:5, 441-460, DOI: 10.1080/10511970.2018.1488317
- Harsy, A., Meyer, M, Smith, M., Stephenson, B., (2020, May) Analyzing the Impact of Active Learning in General Education Mathematics Courses. Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences 2019 Conference Proceedings
- Armstrong, A. & Harsy Ramsay, A. (2016, April). Using Mastery-Based Testing in Undergraduate Mathematics, Science, and Other Courses. Lilly Conferences on College Teaching. Proceedings of the 36th Original Lilly Conference. Original Lilly Conference: Oxford, OH (45-47). Oxford, OH. Original Lilly Conference.
- Clark, T. Harsy, A. Janssen, M. Klanderman, D. Maxwell, M. Robbert, S. (2018, April). Start a Math Teacher Circle: Connect K-12 Teachers with Engaging, Approachable, and Meaningful Mathematical Problems. Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences 2017 Conference Proceedings.
- Book Review: Amanda Harsy (2022) X-Games in Mathematics Sports: Training That Counts!, Math Horizons, 29:4, 29, DOI: 10.1080/10724117.2022.2028525
- Southwest Chicago Math Teachers’ Circle Leadership Team, Founding Member, 2016-present
- ISMAA Program Committee 2020-2022, Co-Chair for 2021 and 2022 ISMAA Conferences
- MAA Sports SIGMAA Chair Elect, 2022
- MAA Sports SIGMAA Secretary-Treasurer, 2019-2021
- ISMAA Director for Private Colleges, 2019-2022
- Association of Colleges in the Chicago Area Mathematics Division Chair, 2020, 2021
- ISMAA Awards Committee, 2019, 2020
- MAA Sports SIGMAA Nominating Committee, 2018-2019
- Project NExT Gold ’14 Fundraising co-chair, 2020
- ACCA Mathematics Division Chair, 2020, 2021
- LSAMP PUMA STEM Grant Lewis University Faculty Coordinator, 2018-present
Major Professional Honors:
- Mathematical Association of America’s Illinois Section’s 2018 Early Career Teaching Award
- Selected to run 2023 Summer@ICERM Program
- MAA Sports SIGMAA’s Outstanding Achievement in Advising and Promoting Research in Mathematics and Sports.
- Mentored over 40 students on original research projects which has resulted in over 40 presentations at national and regional conferences.
- 2021-2022 CURM Minigrant
Selected Panels, Workshops, and Minicourse Leader
- “Application Inspired Linear Algebra: Using Data in the Classroom” Joint-minicourse presenter, 2021 MAA MathFest
- “Beyond Traditional Grading Schemes: Mastery Based Grading.” Joint-minicourse presenter, 2019 MAA Mathfest, 2021 MAA Virtual Programming
- “New to Mastery Grading” Workshop Co-Leader at the 2019 NIBLT Conference.
- Inspired by Real, Fun Math: Practical Outreach for Sharing the Power and Beauty of Mathematics with our Communities.” Project NExT invited panelist, JMM 2020
- “Getting Your Feet Wet in Mathematics Education Research. ” Project NExT invited panelist, 2019 MAA Mathfest
- “Using Data Applications to Inspire Linear Algebra Topics in the Classroom.” Joint-minicourse presenter, JMM 2019
- “The Job Search” Invited Presenter, 2019 ACMS Conference
Celebration of Scholarship Mentor:
- Predictive Modeling for NHL Hockey Utilizing Markov Chains,
Students: Campos-Chavez, H., deBolt, W., Mena, M., Prince, J. Finalist for the Dr. Stephany Schlachter Excellence in Undergraduate Scholarship Award. 2022
- A Markov Chain Model for Predicting College Basketball, Student: Vesta, M. Finalist for the Dr. Stephany Schlachter Excellence in Undergraduate Scholarship Award. 2021
- Analysis of Passing Networks in Soccer, Student: Laschober, J. 2019
- Exploration of the Collatz Conjecture, Student: Biegel, N. 2019
- Is There a Better Handedness in Baseball? Student: Fosen, E. 2019
- Using Graph theory to Design Optimal Strategies for DNA Self-Assembly, Students: Soto, N., Merheb, S, 2019
- The Artistic Side of Mathematics, Student: Samoska, E. 2019
- Design Strategies for Modeling Ladder-based Graphs using DNA Self-Assembly, Student: Hansen, J. 2019
- Predictive Modeling and Analysis of Sports Teams Using Linear Algebra, Student: Gannon, K. 2019
- Modeling Crossed-Prism Graphs and Petersen Graph Families in Self-Assembling DNA Using Graph Theory and Linear Algebra, Students: Gernes, L., Redmon, E., Renzyl Cortes, A. 2019
- Impact of Time-Restricted Feeding on Digestive Health, Student: Maupin, C. 2019
- Using Artificial Intelligence and Linear Algebra Methods to Improve Predictive Modeling and Analysis of Sports Ranking Systems, Students: Joutras, B. and Siwy, A. 2018
- Comparing the Impact of Mastery-based Testing to Traditional Testing in Mathematics Courses, Students: Klamerus L. and Carlson C, 2018
- Modeling DNA Self Assembly Using Graph Theory, Students: Stratton, Q., Dellinger, K., Pearson, A., Merheb S., 2018
- Design in the World of Science, Student: Pearson, A 2018
- Predictive Modeling and Analysis of Softball Tournament Results Using Linear Algebra, Student: Maupin C. 2018
- Predictive Modeling and Analysis of Golf Teams Using Linear Algebra, Students: Schultz, H., Buente, A., Koronkiewicz M. 2018
- A Suboptimal Algorithm to TSP in Polynomial Time -Student: Onesto, J. 2017
- Seeing Calories and Food Through Mathematics -Student: Garcia, J.
- Latin Squares and Their Applications -Student: Geier, E.
- Explorations of the Stern-Brocot Tree, Student: Stratton, Q. 2017
- The Math Behind Gerrymandering, Student: Gillis, J. 2017
- Probability in Sports Wagering, Student: Becker, K. 2016
- Determining the Success of a Mathematics Major, Students: Groskreutz, D. Langland, E. 2016
- The Mathematics behind the SET Card Game, Student: Smith, M. R. 2016
- Win Probability in MLB Games, Student: Branchaw, N. 2016
- Mastermind and Variations, Student: Smith, M. D. 2015