Lewis University Student Academic Conference Support Program
A Grant Fund administered by Lewis University
Pilot Program for Spring/Summer 2014
STUDENT ACADEMIC CONFERENCE SUPPORT PROGRAM
To promote undergraduate and graduate research and support the academic development of Lewis University students by funding travel for presenting at disciplinary/research conferences.
GUIDELINES FOR PARTICIPATION:
- Open to currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing at Lewis University from any major or program.
- Applicants must have received official notification that their project (e.g. paper, poster, artwork, etc.) has been accepted for presentation at a peer-reviewed conference. The official notification of acceptance (letter, email, etc.) must be attached.
- Applicants must be seeking funding for a disciplinary professional conference, honors conference, general undergraduate research conference, or similar official annual meeting.
- The conference involves only continental USA travel.
- Program funding is limited each year and application decisions will be based on availability of funds.
- The same project can be funded for presentation only one time (e.g., a paper accepted for presentation at an honors conference and at NCUR can only be supported once, although the student can, of course, self-fund a second conference).
- Each student is eligible for a maximum of $350.00 in conference travel reimbursements from this fund in each academic year and may receive up to $1400 total during her/his studies at Lewis University. Students attending a conference that will cost more than $350.00 are expected to pay the remaining expenses on their own.
- A student may be funded or partially-funded to present at more than one conference in an academic year, so long as the projects are not identical, funds are available, and the maximum benefit of $350 has not been reached.
- Complete applications must be submitted by the dates determined by the Culture of Inquiry Review Panel.
GUIDELINES FOR FUNDING:
- Participants are representing Lewis publicly and should be mindful of their role as “ambassadors” of the University.
- Applying for funding implies the student’s agreement to comply with all Lewis University student handbook /conduct guidelines (e.g., alcohol & drug use, etc.).
- All applying students must complete the attached waiver form (see page 5-6).
- Students are expected to minimize the amount of missed class time when planning travel.
- In most cases, students self-register and make their own travel arrangements. Multiple students attending the same conference are expected to coordinate itineraries.
- Students are responsible for notifying and working with their instructors about any missed class time prior to any trip.
- Students under the age of 18 must have a guardian give consent (letter/email) for participation.
- Any trip must adhere to all aspects of the approved university travel policy.
CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- The program funds the following expenses only:
- Conference registration fee
- Airfare or auto mileage (whichever is more economical/appropriate);
- Lodging (no lodging is provided for Chicagoland area conferences);
- Presentation costs (e.g. poster materials, overheads, etc.; $75 maximum).
- Actual expense figures and receipts must be submitted for all reimbursable expenses (see page 7).
- If a travel advance is needed, requests should be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to departure.
- There will be a total funding pool of $4,000 (will be divided as determined by Culture of Inquiry) for Spring/Summer 2014 academic terms. No additional funding will be granted until the following year.
COMPLETED APPLICATION SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO
- A completed application with original signatures
- A detailed budget (see budget form)
- A copy of the abstract submitted and accepted for the conference
- A copy of the conference program or letter of acceptance from the session or event organizer, as soon as it is available
- A letter of support from the student’s academic advisor/faculty mentor
- If relevant, an approval letter from LRB or IRB
Kathy Anderson 815-836-5796 at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Good Academic Standing:
- Fully-admitted, degree seeking, registered student in a Lewis University baccalaureate or graduate degree program
- In good academic standing in the University program
- Priority will be given to students with a 3.0 cum GPA or higher
- In good standing through Student Services
- Permission of the academic program director/chair and of the academic dean
- Letter of support from the student’s academic advisor/faculty mentor
- Student’s presentation(s)/exhibition(s) must be accepted and listed on the conference program.
- Projects involving human subjects must be approved by the relevant Local Review Board or the Lewis University Institutional Review Board. Prior to the disbursement of award funds a letter from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Research Participants confirming approval of the research must be submitted to the Office of the Graduate Dean.
DISBURSEMENT OF AWARD FUNDS:
- The Culture of Inquiry Advisory Committee will review the applications and determine who will be funded.
- Expenses will be reimbursed when original receipts are submitted including all travel and conference registration.
- Contact your advisor or faculty mentor for more information about submitting receipts for reimbursement of awarded funds.
- Funds must be used during the academic year awarded and prior to the student’s completion of the program in which enrolled at time of the award.