Veteran Education Benefits
Proud to be a GI Jobs Military Friendly School
Lewis University is proud to announce our partnership in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, which allows qualified Post-9/11 veterans to enroll in more than one hundred approved education programs at Lewis University, tuition free!
- Eligible Chapters
- Begin Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
- Continue Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
- Why Should I Complete a FAFSA?
- Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Vocational Rehabilitation - Veterans with Disabilities
- Post - 9/11 GI Bill (Available August 1, 2009) (Chapter 33)
- Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance
Program (Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
To determine your Chapter eligibility, please call 888-GI-BILL-1 and speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor. Please be sure to request your Certificate of Eligibility. Visit the GI Bill website
to apply and learn more about education benefit descriptions and payment rates
Information regarding Transferability of Benefits (Chapter 33 only) can be found through the follow link: Post-9/11 GI Bill: Transferability
Note: upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with the VA. This step should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after the Department of Defense has approved the request for Transferring Benefits.
Begin Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
To begin using your GI Bill benefits at Lewis University, please submit the following forms to the Financial Aid Office:
- Lewis University VA Education Benefit Enrollment Certification Form. (this document must be submitted every semester you would like to use your benefits.)
- DD214 (both Member 1 and Member 4 copies are acceptable)
- NOBE (if you are a member of the Selected Reserves)
- Certificate of Eligibility (for Chapter 30 and 33 recipients). If you have not received this from the VA yet, please submit all other required documents for processing. Your COE can be submitted to us once received.
Continue Using Your Benefits at Lewis University
To continue using your GI Bill benefits at Lewis University, you must repeat the following steps.
Process your monthly verification of enrollment with the VA (not necessary for Chapter 33 recipients).
Submit the VA Education Benefit Enrollment Certification Form to the Financial Aid Services office. The form may be faxed, mailed or submitted in person.
NOTE: If you withdraw from one or more of your classes, it could affect your eligibility for VA Benefits. It is your responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if you add/drop any courses during the semester.
Looking for more information? Check out our Veteran Benefits FAQ
to learn more.
Why Should I Complete a FAFSA?
Service members should always complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for additional scholarship, grant and loan eligibility options each year.
- You must indicate your VA education eligibility in step two of your FAFSA. Some veteran benefits are considered a resource for financial aid. Veteran benefits may affect your eligibility for certain Lewis University scholarships.
- Deferred billing options are available to veterans who are receiving education benefits.