Sport Management, B.A.
Athletes aren’t the only ones who may enjoy a rewarding career in the sports industry.
Develop the business skills necessary for success in an industry that has become a staple of American history and culture.
From Fandom to Career
Many people who are die-hard fans of their local sports teams are not athletes. While experience in sports activities is an advantage, they are not required in order to pursue a career in the sports industry. Trained professionals are needed to help manage the growing number of sports/fitness programs and facilities.
Build Leadership Skills with Sports and Business Education
The Bachelor of Arts in Sport Management program at Lewis University combines coursework from business, fitness, health science, and technology. Following the guidelines of the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM) and Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA), the curriculum prepares students for careers in professional and collegiate sports, park districts, YMCAs, and public assembly facilities.
As candidates of the program, students will:
- Develop essential skills in sports marketing, promotions, public relations, finance, sales, event management, analytics, revenue generation, customer service, and entrepreneurship
- Obtain hands-on experience through one of the top NCAA Division II athletic programs in the nation
- Learn how to create effective sport and fitness programs
The U.S. Department of Labor predicts the job market in the sports and recreation industry will increase between 21 and 35 percent. The growing number of sport enthusiasts, sports and recreation facilities, sports programs, and leisure-related activities provide a positive job outlook for graduates of the BA in Sport Management program from Lewis University.
Why Lewis for Your Sport Management Degree?
- Experienced and knowledgeable faculty who are prominent leaders in the field to help develop and strengthen skills necessary for the sports industry
- Advisory Board that includes professionals from the Chicago Bears, Chicago White Sox, UIC Athletics, Chicago Wolves, Kane County Cougars, Chicago Fire, and many other well-known sports-related organizations.
- Ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report’s “Top Tier Colleges”.
- Small average class size allows for high interaction with our experienced faculty.
- Support system consisting of advisory board members, faculty, alumni, and peers who are confident this program prepares students for success in the field.
- Partnerships with industry organizations for internship and clinical opportunities, allowing students to build relationships with potential employers.
For more information about the BA in Sport Management program at Lewis University, please contact Department Chair Karen Lockyer at email@example.com
or Program Director Ralph Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students Find Out How to Get a Dream Job in Sport and Exercise
Close to 20 professionals, who work in Sport Management and Exercise Science, shared tips and offered career opportunities to Lewis University students April 4 at the 2016 Seventh Annual Sport and Exercise Networking Council Session. Interviews for internships and open positions were also discussed during the informal meet and greet event.
Lewis University Sport Management Program
Jim Schmidt, Director of Athletics at University of Illinois Chicago, discusses how impressive the Lewis University Sport Management program is. He also encourages students who are interested to check out the Lewis University Sport Management Program.
Sport Management Degree Program - The Lewis University Advantage
Networking and internships with the sports industry is a great advantage that Lewis University offers. It's close proximity to Chicago provides a great connection for students with professional sports organizations, such as the Chicago White Sox, Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls, Fire and Bears.
Meghan Hurley is using her bachelor's degree in Sport Management to further her career in drag racing.
The Lewis University Sport Management program provides her with networking, expertise and professional skills that she will use as she pursues her passion.
Jim De Maria
VP of Development for Ronald McDonald House Charities
How to be successful as a Sport Management major at Lewis University.
"Ever since I was young, I knew I wanted to be a part of sports. Sooner or later, I knew my athletic career would come to an end – but I knew that was a stepping stone to something else – sports business."
Game Entertainment Assistant / Mascot Coordinator, New Jersey Devils
"Sport Management at Lewis is a very hands-on program. You don't have 300 people in a classroom. You have 20-25. You really get to understand and experience what it's like to have a job in Sport Management when you graduate. This is a competitive industry with a lot of athletes and post-athletes, and you're part of that competition. I was two games away from a ring last year, and I'm going to get one."