Expand your knowledge and skills as a nursing professional at the top level by maximizing your ability to care for those in need.
Advance your expertise and knowledge in the healthcare industry with a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree from Lewis University.
Practice Nursing at its Highest Level
The Doctor of Nursing Practice degree is the terminal practice degree for the profession of nursing. The impetus for enhancing graduate education for practicing clinicians includes an increasingly complex healthcare environment, explosive growth in knowledge of science and therapeutics, quality and safety concerns, and financial pressures driving efficiency efforts.
The degree is a 30 credit hour program that builds upon advanced clinical skills with coursework on quality improvement, evidence-based performance, and systems approaches to meeting the health care needs of the public. Best of all, the DNP program is available 100% online
, allowing for convenience and maximum flexibility around nurses’ and healthcare professionals’ work schedules. Each student must complete a minimum of 504 residency hours beyond their MSN practicum hours.
DNP Vision Statement
To develop nurse experts into innovative leaders who will transform practice in an increasingly complex healthcare system.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Lewis University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
It is intended that students of the program will:
- Integrate nursing science, ethics and the biophysical, psychosocial, analytic, and organizational sciences as the basis for advanced nursing practice to influence legal, political and organizational policy and support access to care, social justice, and the profession of nursing.
- Demonstrate advanced levels of clinical judgment, systems thinking, and accountability in the design, delivery, and evaluation of evidence based care in complex decision making.
- Use analytical methods and information technology to improve population and system outcomes considering legal, financial, ethical, and regulatory issues.
- Analyze practice initiatives in order to develop effective interprofessional strategies to ensure and improve healthcare outcomes for patients and populations in relationship to safety and quality care.
Nursing and health professionals thinking about applying to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program should take a look at what current DNP students are working on. Curriculum insight gives prospective students the inspiration they need to advance their careers and education in the health industry. [Read More
Not only does Lewis University offer a competitive cost of tuition, but various opportunities for discounts and scholarships are available for students and applicants who qualify.
Students enrolled in the DNP program may apply for a graduate assistantship position in the College of Nursing and Health Professions (CONHP). Graduate Assistants receive tuition and fee reimbursement in exchange for working for the CONHP. Priority for selection is based on academic achievement, potential for leadership, and financial need. Interested candidates may obtain more information by contacting the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Faculty Scholarship in Nursing, Dr. Suling Li, at email@example.com
Lewis University has established a partnership with the Illinois Organization of Nurse Leaders (IONL) to provide eligible students with a 15% tuition discount in adult undergraduate and graduate programs held online or onsite at any Lewis University campus, including the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. Students who are IONL members must submit the necessary forms each semester.
Frequent Flyer Scholarship
Lewis University alumni qualify for a 20% tuition scholarship
when admitted into a graduate degree, doctoral degree, second bachelor degree, or qualifying certificate program. More information about the Frequent Flyer Scholarship Program.
JJC Employee Discount
Full and part-time employees of Joliet Junior College who enroll in for-credit courses at Lewis University are eligible for a 15% tuition discount. Students must verify employment each semester to receive the discount.
Employer Tuition Discounts
Lewis University partners with various employers, including those in the private sector, not-for-profit organizations, schools, and government agencies to offer tuition discounts for employees. Employer Partner List
Why Lewis for Your Advanced Nursing Practice Degree?
- Ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report’s “Top Tier Colleges”.
- Small average class size allows for high interaction with our experienced faculty.
- Experienced and knowledgeable faculty to help develop and strengthen skills necessary for the health industry
- Moral and ethical framework in course teachings to assist in effective decision-making in the field
- Up-to-date curriculum on the ever-evolving healthcare system
To be accepted for admission, candidates must meet the following credentials:
- Graduation form an MSN program accredited by CCNE or ACEN with a specialty focus
- Minimum of two years of professional nursing practice as a Registered Nurse (RN)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A current RN license in the state the student intends to conduct DNP residency experience
- APRN applicants must hold appropriate credentials for advanced practice in the state the student intends to conduct DNP residency experience
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals with graduate level education in the student’s area of specialty practice
- Essay of 500 words addressing the following:
- How the DNP program will facilitate achievement of your short and long term goals
- Professional identity
- Essay of 500 words delineating the area of focus for the DNP scholarly project that is pertinent to practice
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 in graduate level coursework
- Have completed the following prerequisite courses with a grade of B or higher:
*If not previously completed, these courses will be in addition to the course requirements for the DNP degree*
- Graduate level course in Statistics
- Graduate level course in Population Health
- Graduate level course in Healthcare Informatics