Enhance your versatility as an educator.
Empower students to reach their full potential as literate scholars and diverse learners.
A Program That Gives You the Edge
Not only will dual endorsements in Literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) expand your versatility as an educator and provide for critical needs facing local schools, but often, students’ strengths and needs in literacy and second language learning are intertwined. It can be challenging for teachers to determine whether the student is struggling with reading or language, or both. No other university in the Chicagoland area offers these dual endorsements in the areas of Reading Teacher and English as a Second Language in a master’s program in as few as 33 credit hours. Coursework covered includes but is not limited to:
- Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations
- Methods and Materials for Teaching English as a New Language
- Remediation of Reading Difficulties
- Strategic Comprehension Instruction
The endorsements are available to Illinois teachers holding credentials to teach as Elementary, Early Childhood, Special Education, or Secondary teachers and become valid at the grade level of your current teaching.
Reading Specialist Completion or Bilingual Endorsement Option
Upon completion of this program, you can complete the requirements for Reading Specialist credentials for just 12 additional credit hours. Coursework for Bilingual endorsement is also available for qualified teachers.
Why Choose Lewis?
Life After Lewis
- Only university in the Chicagoland area to offer these dual endorsements in the areas of Reading Teacher and ESL in a master’s degree program in as few as 33 credit hours
- The two programs are nationally recognized by leading professional organizations: Reading by the International Literacy Association (ILA) and ESL by Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- The College of Education is accredited through the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Recognized as a Regional Top 25 University by U.S. News & World Report
- Named #1 best college value in Illinois by Great Value Colleges
- Clinical/field work assignments are designed with the working teacher in mind and serve to enhance your practice
- Strong reputation for providing quality graduates to regional school districts
- Cohorts offered at various campus sites, as well as at district schools with adequate enrollment
- Social justice and multicultural curriculum based on the belief that all students are capable of learning and the importance of adapting instruction to serve all learners
Our graduates are able to apply their advanced knowledge to their existing roles or the following career options:
For additional information, contact the Office of Graduate Admission at (815) 836-5610 or email@example.com.
- ESL Teacher (bilingual option available)
- Reading Teacher