The Brother Ambrose Groble, FSC, Archives serves as the final repository for the historical records of Lewis University. Its primary purpose is to document the history of the University and to provide primary and secondary source materials for administrators, faculty, students, alumni and other members of the University community, as well as scholars, authors and other interested persons who seek information about the impact of the University’s activities.
Named in 1994 after its founder, the late Brother Ambrose Groble, FSC, the Archives is operated as a unit of Lewis University and is located in the University Library. Guided by the University Mission, the Archives is operated to provide a viable historical records repository and research room which will serve the needs of the Lewis University community and other patrons. The Archivist works in association with the faculty and staff of the University and facilitates the search for knowledge and truth for all of the patrons of the Archives.
The Archives identifies, appraises, acquires and preserves records of historical, legal and administrative value to Lewis University in various media and formats. The Archives arranges, describes and makes it collections accessible in support of scholarship, exhibitions, publications and education. These services are offered through databases, finding aids and other forms of publication.
Brother Bernard Rapp, FSC
The Archives maintains those records which are judged worthy of permanent preservation in order to facilitate reference and research purposes. Material that belongs in the Archives includes documents received or created by the University in order to preserve its history. Official records encompass the materials generated or received by the various administrative offices, departments and units of the University in the conduct of their business.
These materials and documents are included in the following record groups.
||Brothers of the Christian Schools
|Board of Trustees
||Office of Business and Finance
||External Agencies and Entities
||Lewis University Airport
|University Academic Affairs
||Lewis University/St. Francis College Merger
||Lewis University College of Law
||Faculty and Staff: Current and Former
|College of Arts and Sciences
||Faculty Scholarly Works
|College of Business
||Scharmel Iris Special Collection
|College of Nursing
||Marketing and Communications
||Umberto Nobile Special Collection
|College of Education
||Annual University Events
In the fall of 2013 the Archives staff started the process of digitizing certain parts of its collection to make them more readily available to the Lewis University community and to others interested in the history of the University. Over time more digital collections will be added and announced.
Lewis Yearbooks, 1952 – 1983
Lewis University yearbooks were published from 1952 to 1983. All the yearbooks are now digitized and available in this collection. They are word searchable by year. While individual pages can be saved or printed, entire books cannot.
Lewis Yearbooks, 1952 – 1983