Make a positive difference in the lives of young children and their families, regardless of ability, income level, or cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
Obtain three endorsements in one early childhood education program, allowing you to provide an array of services in educational settings and beyond.
High Standards and Performance Builds Quality Educators
The Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Special Education with ESL Endorsement program provides students with the opportunities to learn concepts and valuable skills used in diverse classrooms. In the program, students will explore:
Earn with Three Full Endorsements on Your License
- The unique development needs of young children
- The complexities of cultural diversity and individual learning differences
- How to communicate and build relationships with the families of young children
- How to utilize observation, documentation, and assessment to evaluate children’s learning and development
- Theories and practical application of developmentally appropriate practices
Lewis University's program is one of the only early childhood degree programs in Illinois to offer all three endorsements within one major:
- Early Childhood Education (Regular Education Classrooms, Birth – 3rd Grade)
- Early Childhood Special Education (Special Education Classrooms, Birth – 3rd Grade)
- English as a Second Language (Classrooms with Students Speaking English as a Second Language, Birth – 3rd Grade)
These endorsements are quickly becoming the required qualifications for teachers of preschool and primary children in the state of Illinois. Many schools and districts are beginning to seek candidates with at least two of these three endorsements for teaching positions at lower grade levels. Prospective students searching for Early Childhood Education major options or Special Education major options will find that our graduates are highly competitive candidates after completing this one program offered at Lewis University.
Currently, school districts are understaffed in teaching positions in elementary education and bilingual education. Hence, there will be plenty of job opportunities for qualified graduates once they have completed the program. Students who choose this major in Early Childhood Education with the unique Special Education and ESL component will become highly valuable as job seekers and employees in their fields.
Life after Lewis
- Ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report’s “Top Tier Colleges”
- Small average class size allows for high interaction with our experienced faculty
- Classrooms equipped with SMART boards and other audio-visual equipment, enabling students to develop skills with technologies they will work with in the field.
- Strong partnerships with schools for fulfilling classroom observation requirements and gaining real-world experience by interacting with school children and practicing instruction before graduation
- Good reputation with surrounding districts to help with clinical and job placement
Graduates are qualified to work in various positions, including:
- Public School Teacher in Regular or Special Education – Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, and Grades 1-3
- Child Care Center Director
- Head Start Personnel
- Social Services Agencies serving Children and Families
- Home Visitation/Parent Education Programs
To be accepted for admission in the Early Childhood Special Education w/ ESL Endorsement program at Lewis University, candidates must meet the following credentials:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Completion of an introductory level methods course
- Completion of the Illinois Basic Skills test, Test of Academic Proficiency or score of 22 on the ACT plus Writing Exam in the last ten years
For additional information, contact the Office of Admission at (815) 836-5250 or email@example.com