Undergraduate Course Catalog 2010-2011
ACCOUNTANCY (ACCELERATED)/BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
Total Credit Hours: 128
Major Credit Hours: 64
This program is only available to Albuquerque students. The School for Professional and Continuing Education provides adult students an opportunity to complete a college degree with a learner-centered, accelerated delivery format compatible with their needs and lifestyles.
Most 3 semester credit hour courses are completed in five- or eight-week sessions. The academic focus is on the integration of theory and practice emphasizing application, analysis and synthesis through collaborative learning experiences. Through small class size, group interaction and one's unique life experiences, the classroom becomes a dynamic environment in which each student is an active participant.
Lewis faculty are prepared as teachers, scholars, researchers and practitioners. In the adult classroom, they serve as coaches, role models and facilitators. Each holds a Master’s or Doctoral degree, providing a rich blend of academic knowledge in their discipline with practical, professional experience.
The College of Business has three comprehensive purposes:
1. to help students understand the function of business in the development and stability of local, national and international societies;
2. to assist students in their mastery of the knowledge and skill necessary for careers in business; and
3. to instill in business graduates capabilities for quality decision-making and leadership, with an ethical sensitivity and sense of justice and social responsibility.
PROGRAM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants should be at least 24 years of age; have earned a minimum of 12 semester (18 quarters) hours of transferable credit at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution; have earned a minimum of a 2.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative transfer GPA, based on all transferable courses to be considered for admission; and have at least 3 years of full-time work experience. Credits earned through PLA cannot be used for satisfying the transfer credit hour requirement for admission into an accelerated degree program. Business course grades of "C" or higher will be accepted for transfer into the major.
DEGREE REQUIREMENTS FOR BS IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
• Successful completion of a minimum of 128 semester credit hours.
• Completion of final 32 semester graded credit hours at Lewis University including four upper division foundation courses and/or major courses (12 semester credit hours.)
• Achievement of an overall grade point average of at least 2.00 (“C”) for all courses taken at Lewis University and a 2.20 average for the foundation and major area courses. I. General Education (45)Three Mission-related courses are required. Two must be taken at Lewis University)II. Core Courses (37)LA-120 Accounting for Managers (3)LA-121 Principles of Accountancy II (3)LB-200 Principles of Management and Leadership (3)LB-300 Business Communication in the Digital Age (3)LE-200 Fundamentals of Macroeconomics (3)LE-201 Basic Microeconomics (3)LF-200 Finance for Managers (3)LG-200 Introduction to Information Systems (3)LG-230 Finite Mathematics (3)LG-349 Statistics for the Decision Maker (3)LG-350 Decision Science (3)LM-200 Principles of Marketing (3)
Students are required to take one College of Business Seminar. (1 Credit Hour)III. Major Courses (27)LA-250 Business Law I for Accountants
(3)LA-251 Business Law II for Accountants (3)LA-300 Intermediate Accounting Theory I (3)LA-301 Intermediate Accounting Theory II (3)LA-320 Cost Accounting (3)LA-329 Advanced Accounting Theory (3)LA-420 Principles of Auditing (3)LA-430 Individual Income Tax (3)LA-431 Advanced Federal Tax (3)